AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I actually never saw this version before. Interesting

https://mashimarho.com/products/prec...yway-crank-hub

The more I think about it, I think the VTT v2 solution is the way to go. Rather than rely on 2 or 4 pins to secure the hub, with the possibility of installation fail, the interference fit of the VTT unit makes more sense. Like a lot of little teeth digging in. That with the CBC just seems to make more sense.

The large keyway of the PD unit is also kinda weird but maybe with more units out there, we will get more reviews.
I watched parts of this long precision dynamics crank hub install video where the installer talks about the pros and cons of each type of crank hub fix. His conclusion on the VTT one is that it is a good design that will work well, but if you have to remove the crank hub in the future to service the timing chain or guide, it would be a super PITA to remove b/c it is force pressed into place with hundreds of ft lbs of force and require front end disassembly and then using something that can pull out that crank hub. I can't even fathom what could be used to remove the VTT crankhub if you had to in the future.

See about 42:10 into this video. Starting around the 37 minute mark he talks about the pros and cons of each crank hub design.

FWIW, I already have the SSR 4 pin crankhub installed so I'm not buying or selling, but if I were to do it again today, I'd probably go with precision dynamics.
Appreciate 0