View Single Post
      02-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #53
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicck_f82 View Post
Thanks for the great information. Currently have a set of Apex EC-7 18x10+25 and 18x11+44. Looking to run 305/35 or 305/30 squared with stock struts and H&R Super Sports springs. Do you think this is possible without camber plates or spacers?
Happy to help! A few comments...

Running 305mm tires on the front 10" wheels is less than ideal due to lack of sidewall support, but as described above, it can be done.

Although 18x10" ET25 with 275 or 285mm is a direct fit (no spacers required) up front, 305mm track/race compounds are wide enough to the point that spacers are likely going to be needed to prevent making contact with the strut. Since spacers are likely required, you may as well run the ideal 18x10.5" or 18x11" wheels mentioned in my previous post.

Negative camber is vital to a well-performing chassis, regardless of which front wheel spec you decide to run. Not only will negative camber help squeeze wider wheels and tires under the front fender arches to avoid rubbing/damage upon compression, it also drastically improves turn-in, grip throughout the corners, and tire wear/longevity. In other words, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $$ on running the widest and most aggressive compounds available for a particular chassis, when some of the foundational prep work has yet to be done to ensure you can fully leverage them.

I would say that investing in a set of adjustable camber plates and a track-oriented alignment with your existing staggered setup would give you the best immediate ROI.

If the absolute goal is to run 305 square, ideally you would purchase a pair of adjustable camber plates, a pair of EC-7 18x11" ET25 front wheels to mate up with your rears, and the appropriate 12mm spacers. Keep in mind most F8X M's with this aggressive of a wheel and tire fitment are running motorsport grade coilovers with adjustable camber plates that can achieve -3.5º of front camber or more.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have further questions

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 02-05-2020 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
gum201250.50