09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #81
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
It seems a lot of people are not giving much weight to the fact that the new engine holds max power over a 2300 RPM range starting at 5000 RPM. This was not the case with the 1M where it peaks at ~5900 RPM and then quickly falls off. Having such a large peak power band would give you a huge amount of flexibility in your driving profile and that shouldn't be underestimated.

Yes, but only if you go with the official dyno chart, HOWEVER and sincerely not to start a discussion here without any meaningful benefits for our topic, I have to say that all of us 1M owners/drivers/tuners wittnessed for the last two years that peak power indeed was reached way earlier (slightly over 5000 not 5900) and from there was quite flat (hold) till around 6000, and even after that it was "falling" waaay much smoother than the chart you just posted indicates, hp fall was nicely smooth but peaked earlier than official stats. The torque on the other hand was NOT peaked at 1500 rpm but more like 2200-2300 if I remember correctly and starting to fall after around 5000, and unlike the hp more steeply, and really falling after 6000.

There are so many dyno charts, including from tuners like GIAC and Evolve who wanted to have some baseline before implementing their tunes, that it might well worth making a web or 1M forum search about that for anyone who wants to dig more into this. These are not same motors at all, there are certain similarities, some pretty striking ones and that's it. That's pretty much how I could summarize it for now.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0