02-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #21
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I've tried to avoid posting in this thread as I don't want to be "that guy" that feels like he has to defend his purchase etc. I've had a F80, F82 and driven the comp pack also. I also have had a 16 Tech Pack GT350 and now a 17 GT350. I'll try and keep it short and as unbiased as possible.

It actually doesn't get old depending on what you value. The Mag ride actually rides much better than any version of M3/4 I've driven and I've driven them all except the CS and GTS. Visibility is much better in the M3/4 and if you want an Auto (sorry a DCT is just a fancy/extremely good auto tranny). But, the clutch is nice and light and the stock gearbox is decent so for me it isn't a problem to DD in any condition except I don't drive it in the winter.

The GT350 is the better drivers car and more fun IMO and a lot of others that have made the switch. But, that does come at the cost of the obvious usability advantage that a M3 and even a M4 have over it. Fit and finish is much much better in the BMW as would be expected. The stereo is crap in the GT350 and it is a very spartan interior, but really not bad and purpose built. The Recaros are better than any M3/4 seat I've sat in though as well. Also if you want ventilated seats the standard GT350 suede/leather seats offer that.

If you like to mod you can mod many things on the Ford for a hell of a lot cheaper than on the M cars. The M tax is real and it is utter bullshit IMO in a lot of regards.

I would give reliability and maintenance advantage to the BMW as well. The Voodoo is an awesome engine, but it likes oil and I would recommend checking it at least once a week. It is fairly normal to add a quart every 1000 miles give or take even during normal driving. My 16 was a nightmare and had an engine replacement in the first 5000 miles. My 17 has been rock solid and I added about 2 quarts of oil in 7000 miles and 2 track days last year. Both cars have their share of rattles and creaks here and there. The GT350 does have more vibration due to the FPC V8 up front. The thing just feels alive even at idle. The GT350 does tramline on bad roads, but decent roads it isn't a problem and I have 305/325s on my car. Some mistake that for steering feel coming form a M3/4. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Sound no conversation based on individual taste of course. I had and heard other aftermarket exhausts on M3/4s and none of them sound great to me. I'm not a S55 sound hater, but none sound great IMO. The GT350 obviously does IMO and most others.

If you want an easier ownership experience and value fit finish plus some luxury get the M3/4. Especially if you value the usability of the M3s four doors etc.

If you value one of the most unique and rewarding driving experiences available today get the GT350. But, keep in mind it will need more attention and TLC generally speaking over the BMW.

Oh yeah, also if you value dealership experience obviously BMW generally wins hands down there as well.

Hope that helps OP, good luck.
Nicely reviewed.

What kind of performance mods are popular on the gt350 these days?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0