Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
What should my next track car be?

The M3 CS lease will be up at the end of the year, and it's time to get a new track car to replace it. As much as the F80 checks so many boxes, I'm on my second one, so I'd like to try something new. I'm not too worried about lap times since I'm not that fast in the M3 CS anyway, so if a less powerful car is easier to drive and I can learn more, I'm all for it. A GT4 is really what I want, but I think the price is going to get in the way of me really getting to explore my limits on the track. Also, I don't like the G80, so that's out. So far the options in ranked from most to least considered are as follows:

E46 M3
981 CS/GTS
GR Supra
S2000
Toyota 86
ND Miata

E46 M3:

Right now the E46 M3 is the top contender for smiles per mile. The relatively low cost won't make me feel as bad if I get it into the gravel or nudge a tire wall etc. Anyone track with them previously? I've never actually even driven an E46 M3 so any info appreciated. My biggest concern is the handling.

Pros:
Less expensive
More money for mods
Less worried about biffing it into a tire wall
Cheaper to insure
I've always wanted an E46 M3 (but I've never driven one)
Lighter than the M3 CS(~3200 lbs, is this accurate?)
Plenty of cargo room for track gear and wheels

Cons:
Only 0.89 G on the skid pad, needs some work for handling
Heaviest on the list
Possible high upfront cost for repairs
Reliability issues
Not as powerful
I've never driven one

981 CS/GTS

I love the look, I love the mid-engine layout, and I love the fact that it's a sports car from the ground up. I've always wanted a Porsche I also love the GT4 and this is as close I can get on this list.

Pros:
Great handling
Great engine
Great sound
Light (~3100lbs)

Cons:
Not as powerful
Expensive for a used car ($50-70k used)
Expensive to repair

GR Supra

My biggest complaint about this car is the lack of a manual. I really want a manual this time since they will likely be extinct.

It's just a tad heavy for what I want. My ideal track car is <3300lbs, >300hp, but with a manual this would be at the top of my list.

Pros:
Most powerful on this list
Very low CG
High I6T tuning potential
Cheaper and faster than the 981 (not counting depreciation)

Cons:
Automatic
A tad heavy

Toyota 86

Overall I think just the lack of power is preventing me from getting this. I'm a bit spoiled by the F80, but maybe I'm wrong? I also see a lot of these on the track, and a part of me wants a car that's a bit unique and not as common as the 86.

Pros:
Proven chassis
Handling

Cons:
Not as powerful
Common

S2000

Pros:
Cheap
Slightly faster than the 86 and Miata

Cons:
Not as sharp handling as the Miata or 86?
Not as powerful as the E46 M3 nor the GR Supra

ND Miata

Pros:
Love the looks
Handling
Proven track toy
Lightest car on the list

Cons:
Least powerful
Miata stigma outside of the track

Other possible considerations:

M2 Competition
997 C2
981 stripper
E36 M3
CTR
NA1 NSX
944 Turbo

Thoughts?
Please feel free to make new suggestions!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0