View Single Post
      03-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #61
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Ok, I'll go with the political thing too...why not.

"Define Fake?"

Ok, I guess you can say that an enhanced breasts are not faked because it's real skin with an implant boosting it. So, I will call it audialy challenged? Enhanced?

The point as it relates to the post is that Car and Drive also found it annoying and disconnected it. To their dismay they also lost the radio because BMW does not let you simply turn it off. Did you read the review?

Secondly, if you turn it off you significantly reduce engine feedback because BMW invested their time enhancing it through the speakers instead of through the intake and exhaust system. The 1M was also current model twin turbo 3.0 inline six just like the M3 but it has great sound because they put time into it so it is possible.

Third the car is very capable and still a great machine but you can see the emphasis has shifted on all new BMWs much more to comfort and infotainment than pure dynamics. CD was also making the same point. The M3 remains one of the best but it is drowning in the overgadgetization including cameras everywhere and stuff that brings no value, only weight and distraction to the driving experience.

Luckily, you can still order M3 without most of these except for iDrive and the awful screen in the line of sight. Luckily it is still rear drive, and offers manuals so it still remains legit but C&D is right to call it out on the nonesense.

At some point you have to have a threshold and if the stereo is being used to pipe engine sound and the sound engineers are digitally adjusting the tone to make it "pleasant" then it has crossed the threshold.

There are two basic types of guitars...acoustic and electric. If you put a pickup on a guitar it becomes electric...period. Not acoustically optimized or induction amplification, it's simply an electric guitar. I applaud CD for calling it out just like they called BMW out on the weight of the E90 M3.

Ironically, or sadly I guess, you are touting weight reduction on the M3 which came about because CD and other BMW fans griped. We ended up going to 1M after years of waiting to buy an M3. Now they have made an effort at weight and I love that so again, my hope is that BMW will not take the cheap way out with the next M3 and improve the sound acoustically and remain a leader in that not following VW and Ford down the cheap path.
I'm going to keep it short and simple, because I'm on neither side of this argument really.
1) This whole thing about sound gets old. If you drive it and hate it, that's one thing. But there are ways around it. To me, the E46 M3 has never sounded that great from factory, but again, that doesn't stop it from being one of the best M cars ever made. Change the intake, change the exhaust, do whatever you have to.
2) If you say that BMW is shifting towards comfort with the M3/4, then you have no idea what you are talking about, I'm sorry. Your credibility kind of goes out the window when you say that.
3) If you don't get a car because it just simply has a Nav screen now, then that is one hell of a piss poor excuse to skip on a car IMO. Just as ridiculous as a debate I had with another forum member about how push start button and comfort access ruins the driving experience

Again, keep in mind I don't have an F80/2, so it's not like I have a dog in this fight.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 3