Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
So I de-activated my Facebook account.
Also dropped Twitter on my phone. Still have it but not on my phone.
Taking privacy more seriously these days.
I am and I'm not ...

I've never been on facebook other than having an account which is just a shell and I haven't been able to log in to for 4 years, and twitter I use a little more, but to lurk, i've hardly ever posted or re-tweeted anything.

My theory is, making life easier means I have to trust someone, but I should trust as few companies as possible - just one in this case. So Google has my cloud data - I wouldn't be opposed to adding Apple, but I've always been annoyed by itunes and beyond an original iphone and ipad haven't been wooed back. I just got a new android phone I love for $250! (moto x4) and on project Fi it's ~$35/mo for service internationally. so just can't see paying a fortune for an iphone, and I wouldn't use an iwatch.

I should also note that I have a decent awareness of Google's privacy and security policies for search and they're immense. I would be stunned if any of this facebook stuff came up with Google.

Further I would say, not at all trying to be religious, that

Google is a secure data services company that has branched into devices, but at their core they're data centers and cloud services, which means high security on data that then opens outward. Google itself runs analytics on our data, but internally for the purposes of serving ads, and all of those analytics and data is and always has been on their site since it's their IP.

So culturally, Google is a high security cloud data and advertising company from day 1.

Facebook, however, is a data SHARING company from day 1. Their business model is to collect data from users and facilitate sharing of that data with others. Worse, IMO, they've never understood that they're an advertising company. They talk about connecting the world blah blah blah, but they don't talk about advertising which is where they get their money. That tells me they don't know what they are. So they're a company built on data sharing with an identity crisis. Not a good recipe for security.

Apple is a PC and devices company from day 1. From there they've branched into cloud and data services which, if we're all being honest, they haven't done that well. Further, they realize that ultimately devices will become a commodity and disappear so they must transition into services, but that's not their core. So I would also say Apple has a bit of an identity crisis and that may ultimately risk data.

Amazon is a cloud data services company from day 1 - unlike Google who sells advertising to businesses, Amazon sells consumer stuff and then business services, but they're similar in that at their core, Amazon is a secure cloud data service company. For that reason I would also be stunned if Amazon had security issues.

Anyway, that's why I've settled on Google for now: at their core they're a secure cloud data services company, and they have every consumer service I need, most of which are best in class.
Appreciate 1
F831355.50