mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
This particular car has not been specified to have the VIN externally displayed from the factory.

Option S8SMA is the code that specifies this "Car ident number visible from the outside".

If you enter the VIN for this particular car into a BMW VIN decoder, you will note that under "Environment and Safety" that S8SMA is missing. This is actually something that needs to be added. For comparison, put your own VIN into a decoder and you will see S8SMA will be present

In most markets in the world this is automatically or routinely added to every build. However, obviously that is not universally the case, and in some markets it is possible to order a car without this specified. Presumably this is available as a privacy option.

So, looking at the VIN in the decoder, it is correct that the VIN is not displayed on the windscreen. I am not sure that this applies to the door jam or not
Which VIN decoder are you using? I used decoder.bvzine.com and S8SMA does not appear optioned on my car, but the VIN is definitely visible under the windshield.