View Single Post
      09-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Depends how you define raw, but I would consider it quite raw relatively speaking. It's definitely more stable and more refined in certain ways compared to say an E46, but also gives you a lot more feedback through the chassis than any prior generation (at least that I've driven). I personally view F8X as a platform with an very high ceiling that isn't really touched in stock form - it does not take much to push it over the edge into race car territory. My boss had a 992 C4S (traded in for a 992 Turbo), and that thing was fuck-me fast but it was so comfortable, effortless, and insulated that when ever he's in my car, the first thing he says without fail is "this is like a racecar" and has mentioned many times that the acceleration in mine combined with the uncorked exhaust I have makes it feel much more visceral than the C4S - the sensation of speed is greater even though it is objectively slower. The power delivery can also be quite brutal, which only adds to the perceived "rawness".

On E9X specifically, it is definitely softer and if I remember correctly, it was pretty bleh in stock form aside from the engine (been a while since I drove a stock E9X and hence why I never absolutely loved it until I drove my buddy's at Sonoma). IMO stock F8X absolutely improved on stock E9X in just about everyway asides from engine and related feel/theatrics/etc. I know people love the talking point of steering, but honestly, E9X isn't the car to die on the hydraulic hill with - its steering really isn't that great, and if you told me it was an EPS rack I'd probably believe you. Having said that, my buddy has a track focused E90 that was on Bilstein Club Sports, 275 square, 6pot fronts, w/ an aftermarket xpipe and muffler combo, and that was a freaking blast - as raw feeling as you like, and felt as capable as F8X. If you match the specialness of S65 with a little bit of suspension magic and uncork the exhaust a bit - I mean that thing makes you feel like you're in a racecar. Experiencing a properly setup E9X... it is now a must own for me, so I've been opportunistically looking and will continue to do so. But as it relates to your point, even E9X can be raw with the right TLC.

Do you think a damper change will make the F8X feel like that E90 racecar you talked about? Maybe it could be certain bushings?