View Single Post
      12-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #12
Frank SF
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi E90 3.0 218 PS

This is a very interesting thread and very valid question.

In case my financial status would revert to pre-crisis conditions, this would be a dilemma I would have in respect of a future car, i.e. BMW M3 or BMW B3 Bi-Turbo or maybe even BMW D3 Bi-Turbo.

The B3 Bi-Turbo has several advantages, i.e. the fact that is more understated as look but kind of special and exotic, the more refined interior, the suspension more compliant for road use, the fact that is also available as xDrive (important for me) and as touring. Apparently, as far as I understand also from Chris Harris movie, the prices for the B3 Bi-Turbo are not as stratospheric anymore, as it costs slighly more than a 335i similarly loaded.

On another side, the M3 is part of the M line-up, which was a dream of my adolescence in terms of cars. Probably it is more sporty on the road (engine, transmission, suspension, the way it holds the road) but it is only Saloon, only RWD and a little bit too flashy.

Some discussions and forums also introduce in discussion the new D3 Bi-Turbo with 350 CP, apparently it is very very fast, close to B3 figures and performances, but with surprisingly low consumption figures. Generally I tend to be a fan of unleaded, not enjoying diesel too much, but some recent ride in a couple of V6 and L6 diesels 3.0 kind of changed my mind, in the sense of enjoying the performance and still having decent consumption (an E350 CDI Coupe took 10.6 liters/100 km consumption where my 325xi E90 with 3.0 unleaded would have taken 15 liters/100 km).

I am thinking that a really nice combo would be Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo xDrive (maybe Touring) and Alpina XD3 (the SUV based on X3).
Appreciate 0