View Single Post
      01-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

This is about leather content, not about quality.

What this means is that, if Extended Leather is just door handles and a add-on pad covered in the center console then that's not what it used to be Extended Leather at all. Extended Leather used to be the bottom dash and most of the center console (both in the E46 and in the E90/E92 M3) covered in leather.

Those two small parts covered in leather now are the only difference between a "normal" Leather option in an F30 and these photos of a F80. If that is "Extended" then that is a misnomer to get the impression of something more that what it used to be and simply it is not anymore.

The same then with the "Full Leather". Full Leather is "full" as in full dash, door panels and center console. That's not what these M3/M4 are showing. What they are showing is something more than Extended but much less than Full -as the door panels and center console are not fully covered in leather. The estimated prices of these Extended and Full Leather options can tell us that these are in fact not what it used to be - a real Extended Leather used to be a $2000 option and now for the F80/F82 is the same price as the just Leather option ($950) in the E90/E92 M3. This new "Full" Leather is the same price of what it used to be Extended.

It seems like a good deal, but a great deal would have been getting the real thing for less. Or just get me the real thing for what it is because the mismatch in textures and materials -especially at the door panels in the Full Leather- is just not nicely done. But that's not the way BMW does things, I guess.

Try looking at an M5 differences in "Full" and "Extended" leather and you will know what I am talking about in coverage and in price. And by the way, there was a Full Leather interior option for the E90/E92 M3 only available thru Individual -$10,625 quoted.

And yes, Merino is nicer that Dakota. But if you compare Merino directly with Novillo (E90/E92 M3) and even with Nappa (E46 M3) you will have a hard time determining which one is what if they are not labeled as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

I don't know what that means.

it is the basic leather option, which in this case is extended. on the m3, the full leather is the one with the leather dash etc.

in the case of 435 vs m4, the door panels look nothing alike, more leather stitching and leather on the door pulls.

the quality of the leather is extremely different, and the materials quality in general is much better. the seats are also 10000x better in comfort, leather material, and looks. the trim also looks a lot better.

the overall impact is that it looks different and a hell of a lot nicer.

I saw them in person side to side, and this was my and many other peoples impressions FWIW.
Appreciate 0