View Single Post
      08-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #79
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I'm guessing some people would prefer a regular auto over DCT in something like a Corvette or Mustang? I wouldn't but I'm guessing there are those that would, which would make them have to worry about an extra transmission.
I don't think a significant number of buyers in these segments will reject a DCT vs. a traditional auto. I suspect it is simply that the demand for the DCT is just not high enough (yet) to warrant the investment in changing from the status quo. Note that the C7 got a new manual transmission but stays with the exact same automatic transmission as the C6.

Quote:
But I would like to see the cost of a good DCT vs a 'good' regular auto. I suspect that the DCT costs more, but I could be wrong.
The DCT likely loses out right now due to the lower volume. But, how long can they offer a car like a ZR1 or even a Z06 with no DCT? They are chasing imports in the 100k range, many of which are going with a DCT. You may soon need the transmission to compete, and potentially you could actually bring the costs down by using it in the lower end models like the base C7 as well and in other cars too for that matter, all while having a positive effect on performance. I think it can work, and it is just a matter of time before the numbers start to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
So with a move by BMW putting DCT as standard and MT as a 'no cost option' really comes out good for them for those choosing MT as the DCT is a costlier option. GG BMW GG. Oh and keep on ordering MT guys so those of us that prefer DCT can get a subsidized rate (or maybe BMW is already adding DCT to the base price and pocketing the profit).
I'm sure they are passing costs to the consumer by increasing the base price, yes. But, keep in mind that fewer people opting for the MT (as is the trend) means that the development of that transmission in the car is spread over fewer units as well. So maybe charging the same for the MT as the DCT isn't such a money grab after all. We don't know since they aren't going to disclose the detailed cost breakdown publically, but it may not be as clear cut as it seems.
Appreciate 0