View Single Post
      01-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Ok, to take off with an impact. Do not tighten with an impact, unless on low setting. Finish off with regular torque wrench.

Regarding studs, I use an impact to loosen because of time. Just have to watch studs aren't backing out. I use red lock tite on the stud base, haven't been backing out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I've probably loosened my lug nuts 20x on studs with an impact and they haven't backed out one iota.
For sure, that's why I mentioned that most people use an impact to remove with no issues. If I was racing and pressed for time, I would obvi use an impact each and every time. Since, for the time being, I usually just remove the wheels at the beginning and end of a track weekend, I take the time to use the breaker bar. But, it is by no means required

And, you're both right. With proper stud installation, there should be no problems. I hear about people having issues with studs backing out during wheel changes and I feel that maybe the underlying issue was that they were not installed properly, versus the studs themselves being the problem.
Appreciate 3
MaynardZed1231.00
PayamFSU209.00