05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #100
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
If you've looked at the technology in the modern Ms, you'll see a trend with technology being introduced in one & then perfected in the next:
  • The E39 M5 introduced Double VANOS
  • The E46 M3 had a refined VANOS & the SMG II gearbox
  • The E60 M5 had SMG III & high-revving V10
  • The E92 high-revving V8 & introduced M-DCT
  • The F10 perfected M-DCT & introduced 1st F/I M car (I wouldn't consider the 1M the 1st F/I car b/c it used a recycled engine from a non-M 3 series)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
135is uses N55.
This article begs to differ:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691753

Same engine as 335is = N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Not only is 8 speeds too many (why not just make 7th longer...?) but who in their right mind would choose the 8 speed auto with a torque converter (as good as that transmission is) over a dual clutch gearbox?
If you thought I meant take the exact same gearbox in the new 3 series and put it in the next gen M you're an idiot. What I'm suggesting is that its probably that we will see a completely new DCT gearbox in the next M3/M4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
One of the BMW head engineers. He months ago stated that DCT has no future and Autos can be as quick as DCT's.
^^I wouldn't go that far, especially when Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren & the GTR are all using DCTs in their cars right now. The shift times between a DCT & auto is def much smaller then it was 4 years ago.

Anyone else?
Appreciate 0