View Single Post
      03-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
I have had the Hakka 2 which i would consider similar to the X-ice 3, and great for ice or compacted snow, but was not very good in the slush or sand/mag chloride mix that can accumulate to either side of the wheel paths on the road. Changing lines could be an adventure. My PA4 were a lot better in that regard, and better for the cold dry days and keeping a performance feel, at the expense of the ice and pure snow traction of the Hakka 2 and X-ice. I would like to personally try the Hakka 8/9 without studs.
I drove home last week in the middle of the storm with slushy and icy roads on the Hakka R3. They were really, really good. No issues with the soft mix and changing lanes - plenty of traction and little/no floatiness. Getting started on hills at a stoplight wasn't a problem either. Didn't drive at speed on I25 or I70 so nothing to report there yet. But the slush, snow, ice we had that day is about as bad as it can get traction wise. I anticipate I'll only have problems when the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance becomes an issue.

On dry roads though, even with different tire pressures, the deep tread and squishy tread blocks give the traction control system fits. I had a hard time out-accelerating a Nissan Leaf the other day...can't get anywhere close to full power. Put it in MDM mode and its another story.

I ran Xice3 on an xDrive F30 and while snow/ice performance wasn't as good as the Hakka R3s, it was a better compromise for dry street use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0