View Single Post
      08-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
The drive through Switzerland was slow and boring, but we did stop in Lugano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks.

I never heard that before What part was boring. Here is my plan from lake Como towards the tale end of our trip.....doesn't seem boring on paper

Lake Como to Interlaken area via San Gottardo, Glesch, Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass - 5 hrs.

Next day, Interlaken to Zurich via Susten Pass.

I also find driving the Swiss Autobahns quite boring. The national speed limit is 120 kph, but in most places its 80 to 100 kph. Sometimes 120 kph. But the Swiss Polizei are quite aggressive in their speed enforcement. On country back roads the speed limit is only 80 kph. (not 100 kph like in Germany and Austria). Also one should take note... that IF the Polizei catches you driving more than +40 kph over the speed limit - they can and WILL take your car away. As in it is not THEIR car!

Lake Como, Glesch, Grimsel Pass, Furka Pass are all GREAT roads!!! MUST DRIVE/SEE roads IF you ask me! Just be careful bc the Swiss Polizei know all the spots to hide and WILL nail you with a big ticket! I don't speed in Switzerland. Also note you need a Swiss vignette(40 euros) to drive on Swiss Autobahns. Austria's is only 8 euros. On the Autobahns there are plenty of cameras and towers where the Polizei use lasers to "kontoll" your speed. I've also seen policemen under a guardrail shooting laser at cars while his buddies wait down the roads some. Over here when they get you like that... you HAVE to pay on the spot! Yes, they take credit cards. But again... you better hope you weren't going more han +40 kph.

The other thing with Switzerland is EVERYTHING costs more. And I mean MORE as in three to five times more than say in Germany. 6 euros for a Coke(500ml bottle, 1.60 in Germany/DE) 40 euros for some schnitzel(12 euros in DE), 100 euros for a basic hotel room(45 euros in DE). It all adds up fast. That said... everyone should visit Switzerland. Just don't spend too much time there. I always prefer to stay in France or Italy or Austria for the evening. Then drive the Swiss Passes the next day.

Have you seen this thread of mine on some of the Swiss Passes you will drive?

Dackel's Swiss Alpine tour...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878216

Also... when your in Lake Como... have you thought to drive up the eastern side of the lake and up thru Italy and into Switzerland?

A route something like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Varen...2621!3e0?hl=en

Then head over to Davos and the Furka Pass. The Furka Pass down to Stelvio is quite a nice section of road too.

Dackel
Appreciate 2