09-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #30
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
Anyone have trouble getting into first at times? I only have 17k miles on my car and recently I've have trouble getting into first gear at a dead stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAg View Post
Wonder if switching to a high quality transmission fluid (Redline or Amsoil) would help to smooth things out?
I know this is an old thread (I even replied to it back in 2018) but wanted to share that yes, changing to a better transmission fluid did 100% eliminate this issue for me. I use a lot of Motul, Torco, Redline, and others' fluids at work so I talked to their US offices about the right fluid selection - I initially thought the problem was that our cars use DCT fluid in a manual gearbox so my plan was to switch to a traditional MTF or something like Redline D4 ATF that has always been a popular choice in BMW manual transmissions. They educated me a bit and convinced me to stick with a DCT fluid. The short version is this: ATF is thin and doesn't have as many additives designed to protect gears like an MTF does, MTF is much thicker. DCT is kind of a middle ground between these two, it's thin for good efficiency and great cold shifting characteristics but it protects your gears nearly as well as a traditional MTF.

I tried Motul DCTF in my car since we had a bunch on our shelf, huge improvement. Even first thing in the morning after leaving my car parked outside all night (not that San Diego ever gets cold...), shifts are nice and smooth and I haven't once had an issue shifting into 1st gear in about 7,000 miles.

My car only had 10,000 miles on it when I switched, it's not like my OEM fluid was old by any means and now I'm getting close to that same mileage on the new fluid and it's markedly better than it was on stock fluid. You only need 2 quarts of fluid so whatever brand you choose, it's a cheap swap.
Appreciate 0