11-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #96
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
Well, it's a little helpful. I'm actually even more wrong than you suggested here. I talked about integrating force with respect to time, but in reality the Torque vs RPM graph doesn't even give me those values, since RPM is neither time nor distance, but a rate relating distance and time.

I guess my issue begins with my optimistic (assumption) that some amount of integration of the Torque vs RPM graph would ever give me power, when in reality (I believe now; someone correct me if I'm wrong) it never will. Torque and Power themselves are certainly directly related (in fact, by distance and time--the same variables that make up the rate/angular velocity that is RPM), but the Torque vs RPM curve does not enclose an area equivalent to power.

Now a Torque*Angular Distance vs Time graph (essentially a Work vs Time graph), that would be both generally useless for most purposes and PERFECT for giving me power by summing the area underneath the curve.
Look at the last line in his derivation: P = T x R, where P= power, T=torque and R=angular speed (RPM). Convert to calculus: P \int T dR. So, yes, power is the area under the torque vs. rpm curve.

Cheers.