View Single Post
      06-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #39
Amina2511
My baby Austin yellow M3 F80
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5m package,bmw m3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
If the roads are very smooth, it will be difficult to detect if it's working or not. Ideally a road with some unevenness that makes the car pitch or roll abruptly.

Shocks only work during the transients of cornering, going into an out of a corner. So if you're expecting to feel a difference on a highway on ramp, you will be disappointed. The quicker the car needs to change direction, the more important the damper is and the bigger difference you'll feel between settings.

Something like an auto-x or slalom will make the differences obvious, or changing lanes on the high way a bit more abruptly than normal to get the body to roll once during the initial steer into the other lane, then make a distinct, quick steering input to straight again once you're in that lane and feel the body roll return to flat. You should feel the difference there as well.

I will say that it's quite unlikely that the system isn't working. Most faults that are likely to occur will throw an error light. If you couldn't feel the difference on bad roads, or if the car was performing poorly overall, I might think otherwise, but if you have good roads where you live an adaptive suspension is less important.
I’m wondering when I was looking to buy a used f80 m3 I couldn’t find any with adaptive suspension just m performance suspension.im curious if it’s only few 1000$ dollars extra why people didnt get it.it seems like something good to have..I just gave up and found an m3 I really liked and bought it but ofcourse it doesn’t have adaptive suspension.i feel my ride is more stiff than x5m package I had but yet again it is suppose to be sporty not luxury car and I always remember bmws being more stiff on road .i drove m3,m5 was all same feeling.i don’t mind stiff feeling altho can be abit annoying if roads are too bumpy but u get used to it..I guess my question is why most ppl didn’t get it when they ordered their m3’s from dealership.🤔 I’m annoyed that I couldnt find any used f80 with adaptive suspension and looks like u can’t change it afterwards .is it such a big deal?everyone keeps saying it’s a must to have and blah blah 😒
Appreciate 0