05-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It is beyond me why they chose liquid to air for a street car. Same thing w the M5 but once that water boils, your performance is done. A well sized air to air would have been a better option IMHO.

Although 96F is still extremely hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Hopefully someone makes a larger heat exchanger and water tank. I'm in Miami so I deal with the same 80-90 degree weather 7-8 months of the year.
I hope you guys are just joking

Air to water cooler is a much more efficient way of cooling the charge air than a air to air intercooler.

The cooling capability of water is much higher than air (hence why we also have very few air cooled engines left...). The S55 has a separate water system that has a radiator mounted in the front, electric water pumps that circulate water from the cooler and through the chargecooler, then back to the radiator to cool down the water again.

Does the water in the intercooler system for the M5 really boil? Have never heard any M5 owner report that over on the M5 Boards...

What would be the benefit of a air to air cooler?
-Longer tubing = lag
-Lower cooling capacity than air to water

If using air as a cooling medium was better than water, I'm sure we would see a lot of air cooled engines...

Water cooling adds weight and needs more associated ancilliaries than a air to air intercooler, that's why early turbo cars had simple air to air intercoolers.
Appreciate 1