View Single Post
      07-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #180
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I was under the impression that (and have been critical of it for that reason) the S65 is more or less identical to the S85 qwith two cylinders removed. Are you saying the S85 was derived from the S60 with two ADDITIONAL cylinders? There is no denying the similarities between the S85 and S65.
I think he is suggesting that the S65/S85 common architecture was evolved from the P60 racing engine. I believe the bore and stroke are different - P60 having 94mm bore like an S62, but destroked dramatically to 4L. P60 may have a shorter deck than the S65/S85 too - it certainly looks compact, though that could be due to heads too since I am not sure if they have dual VANOS. Of course, all BMW V8s have the same 98mm bore spacing so in some sense all these engines evolve from the M60. I'm sure there are plenty of similarities in the rest of the engine too - valvetrain, induction, lubricatin, cooling, etc. Obviously lessons learned from one short stroke V8 will be applied to another, but saying that the latter is based on the former is probably a stretch.

BTW, there was no S60 to my knowledge - the few road going cars homolongated to use this engine just used a detuned P60, as far as I know.
Appreciate 0