View Single Post
      11-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
IMHO BMW made a mistake by not retaining the S65 at 4.4L(440hp stock). an engine they already have. They dropped in the S55 to save money on production. Plain and simple. No special M motors anymore. BMW said it was to save gas, nonsense. Audi, Mercedes, Ford, GM still use V8's.

The S55 will be a fine engine. At the very least I wish BMW just said "look, we want to save money by having the parts shared with all of our products."
Rather than the false mantra of saving gas. I don't drive an M to save damn gas.
+1000

Very well said ... and in the famous german car magazine SPORTAUTO in an interview the M3 development chief says more or less that cost savings were an important factor also on the engine decision !!!

My opinion is also that the M-GmbH made an big mistake with their engine decision ... as I postet in an other thread in this forum:
Quote:
Agree ... an M3 was never about numbers, but much about engine fascination, but if I get to the opinion that ~430hp is enough für an new F8x M3/M4 then I stay with the great and unique N/A S65, look if I can get the fuel consuption a little bit lower and market the car over the great and unique and special engine ... and the lower weight.

In this case no one would care about numbers ... and don´t forget an M3 was also never about torque numbers!

BUT if I decide to bring an new engine, than I must orientate this decision also on the cars I will compete with - not hp wise but concept wise! So in my opinion an 4.0ltr.V8TT based on the S63Tü - bore and stroke like S55 and with the same "lightweight" features was the way to go.

If the base C205 gets really ~100kg lighter and the C205 AMG C63 even a little bit more ... and if this car gets an V8TT with ~500+hp than I fear this car was the first AMG that beats an M3(M4) also on track ... and the last and best argument for the M3 as the "best trackcar in its class" will be gone ... with little chance to react because of the engine limitations.

Than it would be clever if they could argue with an more refined and racier engine like the S65 ... and that an M3 is nothing about numbers.

Last edited by BMW M3 CRT; 11-06-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0