11-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #99
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Kenny, it's fairly simple: Your line of thinking indicates BMW is resource-unlimited.

My line of thinking says BMW had a price target and a budget for making the car and they could either budget more for new engine development and production or for weight-savings R&D and procurement.

They've give us a vehicle with slightly more power, a lot more torque, and even more significant weight savings. Pound for pound, this car has the equivalent in horsepower/weight to an e90 m3 with 452hp.

And lowered weight is so much more beneficial to overall performance than additional HP.

So far the keyboard-bashers on here are indicating the M3 is not "keeping up with the competition" based upon engine output. They have no idea how it'll perform on a track, yet their hackles are up over a perceived lack of output.

However, every track junkie knows the best track performance across the widest array of tracks comes from ability to maintain speed through turns rather than brute acceleration out of a turn. And nothing enables that better than lower weight.

If you can name me another manufacturer who has shaved 200 pounds from their marquee performance vehicle, while simultaneously increasing power and torque and efficiency, I'd love to hear it.
Isnt that what Chevy did with the Z/28 Camaro?
Appreciate 0