01-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #42
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

My take on the CP

Maybe a somewhat 'alternative' take on the CP

Overall, the differences between CP and non-CP are mainly apparent when driving winding roads in a 'spirited' manner. You'll notice greater precision, faster turn in, less body roll, greater ability to finely adjust lines, less drama when getting on the throttle out of bends etc. For example, in a CP car the transition to oversteer simply feels like your line is getting tighter and you need less lock....no drama whatsoever.

Suspension feels taught and 'refined'. There's a huge difference between that and 'harsh'. If you want a graphic demonstration of the difference try any BMW with non adaptive M-sport suspension and run-flat tyres. Choppy and harsh. The CP M3/M4 feels altogether better damped and more 'sophisticated', giving you more control at higher velocities. Personally I prefer 'Sport' vs 'Comfort', unless I have passengers

Unlike many magazine commentators, I liked the standard M3/M4 exhaust. I like the CP exhaust a lot more.

The suspension is tuned for the 20" wheels, which are lighter than the 19s, so its not the same as fitting larger, heavier after-market 20" rims to a car designed for 19" rims and tyres, which will usually make the ride somewhat harsher. The wider tyres do make a little more road noise, but that is only an issue when driving with passengers and having a conversation. By yourself you're either listening to the exhaust or to some great 'tunes' on the ICES

Personally I like the way the wheels look but they are a bit of a faff to clean. Better get a couple of wheel brushes if you drive a car with 666s. There are wheels in the BMW range I like more but taken together with the rest of the car, the 666s are fine (again IMO)

Seats. The CP seats have non-adjustable lumbar support. I don't know about you, but I always feel like the adjustable LS is poking me in the back and can never seem to find the perfect adjustment. I go back and forth and usually end up leaving it just at the point I can't feel it. My back isn't great and I've had a lot of problems with some previous cars but the CP seats just work for me. Comfortable from the onset with plenty of support. And they look absolutely great IMO.

One of my favourite all-time cars was the Z4M. I loved the way it just flowed down a road, cornered flat and responded brilliantly to driver input, with an exhaust tone that perfectly reflected its highly tuned engine. As James May of Top Gear puts it, some cars just make you 'fizz'. The Z4M was one of those cars. The chassis and handling were confidence inspiring and the whole car was a joy to drive. True Freude am Fahren. For me, CP takes the M3/M4 in that direction. It raises the cars' limits while making them more fun to drive in a spirited fashion. If you mainly cruise freeways and straight- as-a-die main roads, you really won't find any performance benefits, which only leaves cosmetics, but if like me you love driving and have roads that are genuinely fun to drive, you'll love what the CP does. In a nutshell, CP add a dose more 'M'mmmmm to the M3 and 4

Last edited by SteveC; 01-24-2017 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 8
Biorin2784.50
bloke7957.00
GrussGott18180.50
IM2C2066.50
Gertsee51.00