MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
It was to be:

Dec 17 : 20 (5ea F80/2/3) random unsold allocations would have the Steel Driveshaft installed to allow for Production Conformy EU6d-Temp RDE testing and certification conducted.

April 18 - All allocations without customers assigned would have Steel driveshafts fitted to enable refitting of PPF if they were not sold by July.

July 18 - All F8x would be fitted with Steel shaft and further, PPF and new DME type installed in all cars under EU6d-Temp Emissions standard from the factory.

In March, it was decided to cease F80 production for all markets except US/CAN effective last week and WLTP/RDE Certifation was no longer necessary. It was stated they would not be installing the steel shaft on F80 due to the 8 figure cost to re-certify the type.
Sadly, this seems to echo with a conversation I just had today with a BMW Genius.

I have a July F80 production sitting in Bremerhaven at the moment and called-in concerned about the possible lack of a CF drive shaft. The Genius quickly knew why I was asking and confirmed that as of March 1, the F80 would almost certainly has a Steel driveshaft. Reason he said "almost certainly" was because a few CF driveshafts trickled in during early March builds.

Regardless, I'm taking my conversation with the Genius as truth that as of March 1, 2018 the F80 M3 will have a Steel driveshaft.
Appreciate 0