View Single Post
      04-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #23
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

I can tell you that I made the switch, but for different reasons. My 997.1 TT has 20k in mods and is a straight beast. You realize when switching back to BMW what people mean when they say you can really feel the road and the turns in a 911, you forget when you drive it all the time! At least I did as it was my DD. Even at 27 years old, the luster of being able to say you drive a 911 kind of loses its appeal. There's more to life than Porsche, like having a comfortable commuter. And don't get me wrong I absolutely love my turbo, which I'm now throwing on the FS market tomorrow, but driving a car that expensive with no warranty is nerve wracking. Sure the mezger block is virtually bullet proof. But with the spun camshaft issue people are having, coolant fittings breaking (though I had mine pinned), and the countless threads on 6speed of people having freak accidents, I'm not ready to drop 40-50k on a crate mezger motor. So I made the difficult decision to transition to a fully loaded sahkir Orange m4 last week. I'm still in the break in period, but I can tell you I'm happy. The peace of mind of having the warranty is priceless. The DCT is so nice in traffic and the car is very snappy. While not nearly the torque beast the turbo is, the m4 holds its own merit with much better technology and is plenty for the streets. One thing that's taking some getting used to for me is the size. I feel like I'm driving a tank. It's not that the car is big, it's moreso that my turbo felt like driving go kart on the freeway. I miss that for sure. The road hugging turns it took are missed as well, but you replace them with a much more supple ride. If you have kids, I'd say it's a no brainer. You will for sure miss the turbo, but you replace it with some things only the m4 can offer. But i am also a one week owner so take what I say very lightly! I told myself my next porsche will be a 991 gt3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Funny, I was going to start a new thread and saw one exists already.

For those who have driven both, how does the F80 compare to the 997.1 TT?

More background info below...

I own a bone stock, high mileage 997TT. It's an '07 coupe with 6MT, sport chrono, etc. I've had it for 2.5 years now (not driven in winter).

I got a good deal on it and I felt it was going to be perfect since I have two young boys and I could commute with it (I do school drop offs and pickups). It works ok as a commuter for me but the adaptive seats do make it hard for the kids to see and it's just not as practical as I need it to be. I sold a 987S that I loved because I never used it. The TT gets some use but not nearly enough as some of their activities require more room than that car has. Also, in the winter time, I don't get to use it all. Kids wouldn't fit back there with all their snow gear anyway.

I'm considering selling it this or next year and getting a '17 M3 in the spring of 2017 through ED. I've done ED twice - in '03 on one of the first Imola ZHP's, and in '11 on an M-sport, RWD, MT 328iT. Those 3er's always made me happy. Sure, they were short on power, but they were great DDs, with tons of practicality.
Appreciate 0