05-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #1031
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Call me crazy, but ntg44 I almost think your v2 exhaust on the first page of this thread sounds better than the TGM production version...
Nah, not crazy, it's all personal preference.

The reason for the 2 systems sounding different is the length of merge. Compared to my V2, the TGM system is designed for performance, so the bends are positioned more towards the back of the car vs. the side like my V2, and the valve is positioned as a muffler bypass with a short, straight through exit after about an 8 inch merge. The muffler exit is really only there for stealth mode when you need it. My V2 in comparison, is a single exit going through a muffler with about 3.5 ft of merge, and the long merge is what makes V2 sound the way it does.

Between V2 and TGM system, I can honestly say TGM sounds so much better in person it's not even close. There are a number of reasons for this, but the main one was that as much as I loved the V2 tone, it had this "whooshing" noise which can be heard on WOT (easy to hear what I'm talking about in the bumper cam footage). This whoosh also took over the majority of the sound heard inside the car, so while light throttle gave it that smooth sound, it kind of got lost when it mattered most.

The TGM system does not have this whoosh, and light throttle gives it the same tone as my V2, just louder. Under WOT, the tone gets a little gnarlier and less smooth, but from inside the car you don't hear that. From inside the car, you hear something much closer to my fly-by videos, a high pitched, smoothly ascending tone. It's awesome.

Also, I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but if you've been following me on Instagram, you'd know that TGM recently fabbed up a new V3 of my original design after the first batch of production units shipped. I was purposely waiting until I had sound clips to post it on here, but the rain in Chicago has been brutal the past 4 days, and this seems like a good opportunity to show it to you all. I've attached a photo for you to check it out. It's a remade dual exit version of my V2 with different size muffler/resonators. I'll update my first post in this thread and with all the specs and post an update once I have clips. Any questions let me know
Attached Images

Last edited by ntg44; 05-20-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 3