View Single Post
      02-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #129
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
The telltale sign of an M Driving School car is that they are first registered in Woodlake, NJ.

It's not at all uncommon for dealerships to not certify M cars for the CPO program. My local dealer in Durham NC does not, and neither did Fields BMW in Chicago where I bought my low mileage 2016. Both dealerships implied that it's BMW NA policy. That said, they were more than happy to sell me very expensive BMW extended warranties lol. (I opted out btw, very comfortable maintaining/fixing BMWs on my own.)

You didn't by chance buy it from BMW of San Luis Obispo did you? If so, I'm very sorry for you. Those guys are bonafide "crooks", they are the poster child of why dealerships get such a bad wrap. I would not put it past them at all to whitewash a car with a shady history and misrepresent it to some poor unsuspecting buyer as "mint, driven by grandpa only on sunny Sundays".
I know this is a really old thread, but I want to give my $0.02. My 2003 M5 was a performance center car when it was new, and I am the 3rd owner. It currently has 165,000 miles on it and has been the most reliable e39 I've owned. (Previously owned a 528i and a 540i). From my understanding, practically everything in the car is replaced before it is offered for sale by BMW. I wouldn't be concerned with that, I'm sure the issues you are having have nothing to do with it's pedigree. Finding the pen is not a "smoking gun" because BMW often gifts a performance center course at Thermal or Greer to the new (1st) owner. Finally, my M4 which I bought at a BMW dealer was also not CPO'd It had the balance of factory warranty and that was it. As said above it's not uncommon for them to not CPO an M car.