Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I just spec'd a Taycan Turbo to with my desired options... $180k! I then tried a 4S, starting price is $103k but it can't be configured without certain options so the base price is actually inflated to $115k, with options $150k.

The Taycan drives well (I had a short but informative drive in a moderatly optioned one, I believe it was around $160k), and it looks good, and I do love Porsche, but I can't help but think for $150k to $180k I could get a Tesla as a daily driver and then a fun sports car and maybe even still have cash left over. And I know its the elephant in the room, but the range is abysmal, and the Mission E-Concept was aiming for 311 miles!

Some info on the range: "My average efficiency on was 574 Wh/mi, which matches the car's lifetime average of 572. That corresponds to an average range (from the 83.7-kWh battery) of just 146 miles. ⁣ ⁣ Meanwhile, after 36 miles, the computer was looking at me with a straight face, predicting a 186 more miles of range. Not likely.⁣ ⁣ Sure, I did a few 0-60 runs, and this poor car has likely been abused every rolling minute. But the fact is, most EVs don't reach their EPA range (this one's is 192) and I don't think this thing is an exception." - Jason Cammisa

Matt Farrah used up 40% of range in 17 miles with "spirited/aggressive driving."

My problem with the Taycan is just this. For $150-180k I don't think its the best sports car. Fake/no engine noise, too heavy in the corners/feel, range is limited in spirited driving, and brake and steering feel aren't up to the Porsche standard, not to mention electric cars tend to feel more isolated due to the lack of "drama." They are quick as f*** in a straight line, but that isn't all that matters in a sports car in my opinion. As a daily driver its comfortable, but it has a small interior (rear seats are almost as difficult to get in as my CLS) and is lacking in cargo space despite being a midsize vehicle, the tech is somewhat clumsy to use, no one pedal driving, and the charging infrastructure simply isn't there for non-Tesla vehicles. Check out the E-Tron forums regarding the charging, especially the Electrify America chargers, it isn't pretty. Chargers have been getting stuck in vehicles, they don't charge at the best rate, sometimes the charging station doesn't work at all, and I have seen more than one case of owners getting stuck at the chargers without the ability to get elsewhere safetly, or even having to cancel their trip and go home due to lack of range. So as a daily driver or sports car, it doesn't really do either good enough for its large price tag.

The Taycan is a great car, if you have a garage with other cars, but it doesn't work if its your only car, or your only practical/4-door in my opinion.

My preferred situation is this: If I wanted electric, I could get a Model 3 Performance for $65k as my daily driver (and thats loaded, there is still a Long and Short Range model that are even cheaper), and I could also then buy a Boxster/Cayman. The two together are roughly the price of a Taycan, and I still have a great Porsche in my garage (especially since the 4.0 flat-6 is returning), and I would argue its a better Porsche since its an actual lightweight and engaging sports car. Hell, a loaded Model S is the same price as the Taycan 4S' inflated based price and offers more cargo and interior space, better tech, and 350 miles of range with a 2.4sec 0-60 time, or a long range trim will do 3.7 to 60 with 373 miles of range. Will it drive as well? No, but it still does handle decently and these cars are likely to be daily drivers stuck in traffic anyways. Owners seem to be extremely satisfied with their Tesla's, and a Model 3 handles even better than the S due to its compact size, and I can get all of my fun out of a sports car as my second vehicle.

When it comes to electric cars, its just hard to beat the complete package that Tesla brings to the table.

Just my $0.02 on the matter. I'd love to see what the "base" model Taycan and upcoming Taycan Sport Turismo (wagon) will be like.
The problem with Tesla is they are not attractive. I would rather spend the extra $$$ to get something that looks great and has a nice interior. I wouldn’t drive a Misel 3 just because of its looks no matter how much it cost.
I totally understand, and its your money so at the end of the day, its your decision. Just thought I'd put my thoughts on the Taycan out there.