09-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I'd agree that the exhaust outside the E9x isn't as good as the sound inside, which is where I hear it most anyway so that's convenient!

Nonetheless, to me the F8x sounds like a noisy 370z. Not like a special, $75k+ car.
I've also read your posts in the other thread panning the new car. Much more to a car than the noise it makes. I'd put chassis, brakes, dynamics, mass, transmission far far ahead of exhaust note...in which case the new car is immensely superior to the old one wouldn't you agree?

Too much is made of combustion noise honestly. Or it just becomes a point of argument to one's bias'....good thing that doesn't happen among the gentlefolk of this forum and those on E90.

My RS made my E90 sound entirely pedestrian, special is very relative otherwise we'd drive Chargers. Even with a full Akra, unless you were at 6K+ my E90 sounded just okay, and at 7K driving down the street, your just another attention seeking douche. The E80 on the other hand makes itself known even at parking lot speeds.

The E90 sounded great with DCT at the track, but then the car was just too heavy for me to enjoy. Waiting for the chassis to take a set was ponderous, brakes needed work, wanted to push in slow corner, great engine let down by a so-so chassis. The new car is a much more fulfilling balance for me. The engine, even with my hesitation being FI, I can describe in one word...FUN, just laugh out loud fun. However, the chassis is honestly the thing worth talking about.