12-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #190
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Isn't BMW saying that the 3306 number is in the lightest configuration? Does that mean that the weight is achieved via optioning the lightweight performance seats and carbon ceramic brakes (which together will probably cost about $10k)? As others have said the 80 kg difference between comparably equipped cars is probably the relevant number for true comparison purposes.

Also, on another note not so sure about the car being a 'tuner's dream' is correct. Given all the cooling tech and that adding 30+ extra hp for bragging rights would have been a minor tweak in the software, they decided not to do that. Would seem plausible that not adding more hp was probably due to issues in making consistent power in sustained high performance driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
Agreed, but if it's even POSSIBLE to spec a 3306 lb M3/M4, it will be a huge victory. I'm cautiously pessimistic (my heart can't take anticipating a 3306 lb vehicle and receiving a 3506 lb vehicle).

As a side note, thinking about the area under torque vs RPM curve is still eating away at me. If we integrate force vs time, do we get work?? Do we need to integrate twice with respect to time in order to find power???
The 3306 number (if it even turns out to have been achieved at all) will likely be in the most lightweight trim possible, but I'm a pessimist. We'll have to see what happens.

As far as "being a tuner's dream," I've certainly never said that. At this point, I think we still know too little about the engine's capabilities to make a good determination. What you're saying though is certainly plausible (although how likely it is to be true is anyone's guess).
Appreciate 0