12-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #195
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehm View Post
Thank you for addressing the biggest elephant in the world crammed into a tiny little room. All the hp/torque in the world won't do a thing if your engine system can't handle more than 2 laps. I think this car was designed more for the stop light drag racers, i seriously doubt it can handle motor racing circuits.
It's been a while since a factory-stock BMW could handle motor racing circuits, my M3's engine oil temp needle starts swinging to the right after just a few minutes of hard driving on the street, forget about actual track use. The brakes also get hot very quickly since there aren't any brake cooling ducts.

If you want to get an M3 (of any generation) for track use, knock yourself out, but it seems silly to me to buy a car this big and loaded with this much tech and luxury and expect it to be a track weapon without a serious amount of work. The 911 GT cars are pretty much the only cars you can take from the dealership straight to the race track (ask Jeff Zwart who drove a stock GT2 RS to Pikes Peak and then raced it up the mountain, there was also a GT3 RS that competed in the Nurburgring 24 Hours and did very well) any thing else is going to do a few laps at the hands of a serious driver before the motor, brakes, and tires are begging for a cool down lap.
Appreciate 0