04-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
You totally missed the key part of my post.

You don’t necessarily need a truck trailer and storage for that car, because you can work it out to put a license plate on the car and drive it to and from the track with cup 2 tires or nt01, just like you do with your f80 today.

Or are you saying you need a “dual purpose car” that you daily and track.

If that’s the case, I misunderstood. I thought this was a track toy, and your only constraint was that it needed to get to the track without being towed there.
I do appreciate your input. You’re coming from a direction I hadn’t considered and it’s making me stretch mentally to examine the fit.

Ideally it would be a dual purpose car. That’s why I was leaning towards a 911 GTS initially, basing it on the experience of member Maynardz who seemed to have a lot of fun with one of those. But then, he also has a hardcore race car so his case is more complex.

My friend drives his .2 RS if not daily then at least every now and then, weekends early morning and other special occasions. So even a GT3 although more hardcore than a GTS, would be ok.

If I wanted a dedicated track rat, I think I’d go for an E46 M3, known platform with lower costs. But even if streetable, a car like this (or the hardcore 996 in your link) would only be driven to and from the racetrack. I couldn’t store it at the track because I go to 4-5 different ones (VIR, Pittrace, WGI, NJMP and Summit usually) and I want to do others. It would need to be insured but otherwise parked on the street (MD is not like CA) and only driven 5-6 times a year.

To me personally that is wasteful, and the major spending starts with buying a $30-50k car that only gets driven a few times per year. Ok you can perhaps recoup part of that cost when you resell it, but it’s hard to calculate given that it would deteriorate sitting outside for 4-5 years. I think if I had a proper big garage for toys I’d think differently.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0