10-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #177
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
During the roundabout turn at the beginning, it is easy to see how much more it rolls when compared to the Merc AMG GT. I am of the opinion that the servo valve tech used in our cars (and presumably the M3 CS) is severely limited when compared to the magnetic dampers most other performance cars use. The center of gravity in our car is also a bit high (around 20in per my estimate). Although the M3 is still the best "sport" sedan by a long shot, a quick drive in a properly sporty car (c7, 1LE SS, 981, 991 etc.) quickly reveals the relatively pedestrian nature of our car.

In other words, if you're hoping for no compromise sports car like thrill from the CS, you will be disappointed. It will still be a wobbly sport sedan at the end of the day. If you don't believe me, just test drive any of the cars I mentioned and you will be a believer.
I get what you mean and you're not wrong but two things: the AMG GT doesn't use magnetic dampers either and I've driven numerous C7s including my coworker's C7 Z06 and I find them to be much, much more wobbly than the F80. The dampers themselves feel great on the Corvette but the overall body control just feels weird, like the frame of the car is flimsy or maybe they're using overly soft bushings or something. It gets better in the sportier driving modes but still never feels like one solid car like a proper M car does (and the Porsches you mentioned are the absolute benchmark in my opinion).

We used to own an AMG GT-S at the shop so I've driven that plenty, that is truly an excellent handling car and one of the most fun cars I have ever driven but of course an M3 that is based on a family sedan is going to struggle if compared to a thoroughbred sports car.
Appreciate 0