06-01-2020, 12:44 AM   #24
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Check out Dundon Motorsports as well for exhaust options.
Love their stuff, but man, you pay for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Very nice man. I recently sold my m3 after almost 6 years and went to a 997.1 turbo 6mt.
That's awesome! Congrats!
Quote:
How do you like it so far? Any regrets?
Loving it- no regrets at all. It's much slower at the top end than my F80, but the car is much more visceral and exciting to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
UGA, congrats man. That thing has got to sound insane esp after you add a GMG bypass or something like it.

How are you logically navigating through owning a car with, presumably, a replaced engine covered for 4 warrantied years at a minimum?

I understand with the new .2 lump, there's little to worry about as it's inherently a much more robust design.
It sounds insane stock, but I can't WAIT to hear it with the center muffler bypass installed ( I ordered a soul performance one)

The engine has been replaced in mine (it was replaced when the car had 600 miles on it- I assume due to the recall) ...and I'm under warranty until January 2025 or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. The car has 11,000 miles on it now so I'm not worried about it at all. Thankfully my car is one of the few that hasn't been beaten to death on a track (original owner had it in a car collection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iExecutive View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. Very happy for your purchase. Enjoy in good health!!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
I'm going to be in the market for an E92, 997 turbo, or a GT4 within the next couple of years so this was helpful. I agree that having the engine behind you is a completely different feeling that you'll only get with Porsche and higher end automobile manufacturers. I've heard some say the E92 sounds better than the Turbo/GT4 and vice versa. I guess it's all subjective and depends on what exhaust setup you have. Although the Turbo is kind of muffled because of the twin turbos, I'd say it sounds good in a different way because with an aftermarket setup, you'll be able to hear them spool up and blow off. Honestly you have to experience P cars in person to understand how good they are. The first time I rode in a GT3 and the sound of the engine was amazing. YouTube compression unfortunately does not portray that same feeling. I was also looking at a F80 M3 but I'm not a fan of the sound it makes when it releases boost pressure. At that point I'd rather get a 997 turbo. As for ride comfort and interior quality, I will be coming from a older Mustang so it's not a big issue for me. I'm sure any of the cars I upgrade to will be superior in almost every way.
The sound is the MAIN reason that I sold my F80. I missed my E92 M3 every day that I had the F80 because simply beacause of that sound track. I fully admit the F8X is superior in every way to the E92, but I could never love the car since it was boring to rev out. So rather than go back to an E92 M3, my wife told me to go ahead and buy my dream car - and the GT3 does not disappoint.

I will say that I drove several Cayman GT4's (and toyed with ordering a new 718 Spyder), and as awesome as they are, I couldn't get over the long gearing..what fun is a manual that you can't shift very often? I know Sharkwerks makes a replacement gear set, but spending $10K on fixing a huge flaw wasn't appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This should be pushed into every 911 vs. M3 thread from here forward. Props for a normal, non-fanboy assessment. Don't see how you acquire a 911 and not develop an overwhelming appreciation for the diverse talents of the M3. If you don't have, then you didn't really explore and enjoy the potential of the m3.

Congrats, OP. Sharkwerks sport exhaust is killer, if you're looking for some more character but don't want to (even potentially) mess with the engine warranty. (Assuming you don't have a G transplant already.) Cold starts are LOUD, though. https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...gt3-rs-SHAX410
Sorry, as I stated before, while I liked my F80 (I especially loved LOOKING at it, since it's a gorgeous design and I adore Sakhir Orange), but I never loved driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
It goes without saying OP, that is a beautiful GT3.

UGADawgFan

Off topic, I was out in Athens last season to catch a UGA game. Wow, what an experience. UGA fans definitely show up for games.
Thank you OMG tell me about it. Something special about seeing a game between the hedges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Nice car brother!!!!!! Enjoy!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
S55 sounds like crap and it's improved with an exhaust but who cares because that's a nice upgrade! Congrats!
No exhaust could ever fix the S55 sound in my book. In fact, when it was driving away and I heard the new owner (who's a dear friend of mine) take off at WOT, I knew I had made the right decision to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Nice! Would you say stock F80 is slower than gt3 in straight line?
Yes and no- not on a launch mainly because of the traction advantage and the superior launch control the GT3 has. My F80 had a tune so it's not a fair fight, but on a highway pull a tuned F80 will destroy the GT3. But then highway pulls aren't what the GT3 was built for If the F80 is stock, the GT3 is faster even at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Hell yes! Congrats! I went to a .2 GT3 myself back in April and haven't even thought about looking back. These cars are a riot! It does remind me a lot of the E92 in terms of power delivery.
Agree 100% ...GT3 makes you work for the power like the E9X M3 did.

And lucky you! I wanted to get a 991.2 GT3, but couldn't justify the $50K price difference. I'm going to use the difference in cash to buy a Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by UGADawgFan; 06-08-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3847.50