06-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I bought an e39 m5 as the ideal daily driver back in 2011, had my first child in 2012. Drove him home in it. Owning an e39 m5 was less than ideal for me with a first child due to regular needs to fix little things on it and just constantly running out of time. Ironically, I considered a 997.1 turbo back at that time too but then found out we were pregnant with our 2nd child.

Bought the f80 m3 in June 2014 (took delivery in August). Great car, great with two kids. Daily drove it 17k miles in first year with a 2.5 year old and newborn often driven in it.

Now 6 years later I've got 3 vehicles total: A minivan (ugh), a 2019 Jeep Wrangler (fun to drive and fits 3 across in the back), and now the 911 with 2 kids in the back.

Is it possible to daily drive a 911 with 2 kids? Yes. Much like in the 1970s it was possible to daily drive early Hondas and Toyotas with 2 kids. You contort your body and theirs to fit them in and get them out, you have a little bit of cargo space (I can fit 3 whole bags of groceries in the frunk!), etc.

Is it going to be an absolute inconvenience compared to almost any sedan? Yes.

My m3, brand new, was 70% the price of the 12 year old 911 I bought. It's simply an amazing value. I left it because variety is the spice of life and I dream of experiencing different things.

Does that mean I wish I had bought a 997.1 turbo 6 years ago? No.
Always appreciate your level-headed posts

Being born in Europe, I am used to (relative to America) small cars; fully packed Golfs going across the continent is nothing out of the ordinary here and we totally did that. The idea of having to have a full-size SUV because the family has one small child is crazy to me but that's today's world for ya. If we had to have a big family car, we'd buy something like a VW Multivan or the European equivalent of your MB Metris. Fits five grown people, their bicycles and half the household!

Either way, I carry adults in the car, sometimes I am in the backseat myself, and so I find a car like the F80 perfect for my needs. Also have an E82 and it's just slightly more annoying to use as a sole DD, like you say. And for the price of the F80, I could only afford a 997.1 C2/C2S with over 40k miles - most Carreras are boring black on black models with no options... Meh. 997/991 and 981s hold their value here much better than in the USA (been eyeing 981 Caymans lately but NONE have an LSD).

Last edited by swagon; 06-04-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0