View Single Post
      04-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #82
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Based on your description, you did not have enough pressure pushing the old fluid out. Once you opened the caliper valve, gravity allowed some fluid to come out. Then gravity was counteracted by something (vacuum between the fluid reservoir and power bleeder) that prevented any more fluid from coming out.

What power bleeder are you using?
How is it connected to the brake reservoir?
Can you induce fluid to come out when it's not connected to the brake fluid reservoir?

My power bleeder has a screw-clamp that allows you to interrupt the flow on demand (e.g.: bleed the brakes, then swap the pads). Does yours have something similar? Was it open or closed?

Fluid can not get "stuck".
Somehow, your power bleeder setup was preventing gravity bleeding, never mind pressuring the fluid to expedite its exit.

a
Thanks for your response. The bleeder I got was the one mentioned in the original DIY post (Motiv brand) where I pumped it to 15psi, which was attached to the brake fluid reservoir.

I think you may be right about not flowing through. When gave up and unscrewed the brake reservoir cap, it was filled to the brim, making me think that the fluid from the bleeder that was pumped into the reservoir, did not flow through the system. Not sure why nothing flowed.

When I turn off my car, I typically step on the brake all the way, then turn off ignition (with brake still pressed), and pull up my e-brake (habit from my manual days).

Do you think pressing the brake then turning off the ignition has anything to do with the fluid not flowing from reservoir to the calipers?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0