View Single Post
      04-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #40
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The performance pads are NOT intended to give steel brakes the same performance as CCBs on the road. They're not even intended to be run on the road at all. Based on the claim that they make a bunch of noise at low speeds, they're going to be full-blown race pads intended to give you close to CCB performance at the track, and you'd continue running the regular pads on the street.

At the track, CCBs definitely do not last forever. As for the breakeven point, on the F10 M5, a pair of front steel rotors costs $1002. A pair of CCB fronts costs $6346. And as someone who's talked with multiple people who track using CCBs on several different types of cars, let me tell you that CCBs don't last anywhere near 6x as long as steel -- usually they don't even last twice as long.

Sorry, there's just no way to construe CCBs as a good value proposition. If you stay on the road, you've already prepaid for so many brake jobs by getting CCB that you're unlikely to break even in the car's lifetime. And on a track car CCB's don't meaningfully outlive their steel counterparts despite costing a whole lot more, so you're actually behind on value in that setting -- and that's assuming you don't ever prematurely destroy a rotor by nicking it with off-track debris or during a wheel change.
Agreed. So these are the facts as we have them:

That the CCB with track use will not last the life of the car and will result in a higher overall expense.

However, CCB with street use will last the life of the car. Steel rotors with performance pads with street use will approach the cost of CCB over the course of their life, assuming 6years+ (whether someone would use performance pads for street use is a different story).

Steel rotors and regular pads will, over 6 years, defray some of the cost of the CCB expenditure. Again, we can argue about how much of that cost is defrayed, but it is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
and that's assuming you don't ever prematurely destroy a rotor by nicking it with off-track debris or during a wheel change.
Again, how many M5/6 CCB users have had this happen? None that I know of. While a fact, it's also a fact that people die on the highway from incidents that aren't their fault, yet this highly unlikely occurrence is not enough to make me cower at home under my mattress my entire life. Same with the theoretical chip off the CCB rotors.
Appreciate 0