flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
Thanks for posting, but 8.3 seconds to 100mph?! An LP560 4 wheel drive/550hp/3400lbs does it in 8. I hope you're right!
8.4 was the top end of the range I predicted. A very quick search revealed the Lambo has done 7.8 s 0-100 mph. A 0.6 second gap is pretty significant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I always enjoy reading your inputs and analysis, thanks for taking the time and sharing .

I am hoping the the gearing on the new M3/M4 will be adapted to always keep the car in power plateau (6 to 7.6k in your assumption) and only 7th gear with taller gearing for fuel economy. If that were the case, every gear could be pulled to redline yielding a very smooth acceleration curve. It should help reduce the feeling of "acceleration drop-off" nearing redline. I guess it is wishful thinking on my part .
Your welcome.

No matter how 7th is geared the large drop off in acceleration is pretty well inevitable as the accelerative force basically follows the torque curve. Now if the torque curve (shape or redline) were more S65-ish, as stated, this drop off would not occur. Of course that is NOT the same as saying torque is more important then power... But that is a whole different discussion.

I really don't think this car will be a shift at redline in every gear type of car, but at least it should for the first few shifts and that more important than the latter ones for sure. Given the more F10 M5-ish torque curve and gearing and a 7600-ish redline, something has to give and that something is not shifting at redline.
The thing is.. Torque IS power.. Power IS torque

Going by the graph an data you yourself provided.. It WILL be a shift at redline every gear, as it carries more power/torque there than you'll gain with the longer multiplication
Appreciate 0