11-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
well you and I disagree. 3kg of weight savings on a 1500kg car is irrelevant. I think its disingenuous to consider that anything other than a minuscule factor in adding electric steering to the car.

3kg increase in weight is not a legitimate negative to hydraulic over electric.

and yes, I think the below statement is idiotic and disingenuous...
But your quote is taken out of context! You simply choose to quote less than half of the reasons he gave for their choice... He also states the other reasons in the interview. Weight was but ONE factor.

And they did not ADD electric steering, the F30 is designed with electric steering. They would have had to add hydraulic steering to replace the electric steering (as also was clear from the transcript of the article).

If you are serious about saving weight, 3kg saved is better than 3kg gained. Isolated, 3kg is not much. Agreed. But if they don't see a major downside it's a win-win situation. save weight, save fuel and get a good steering (like Porsche has done as well).

If you want to shed 80kg, then 3kg here and 3kg there makes up for the total weight saved. After all it seems like it's a multiple 3-10kg savings all over the car that is responsible for the total weight loss. Sure, those 3kg wouldn't make a lot of difference. And that is exactly what Biermann says in the interview as well! Weight savings was ONE factor, the budgetary reasons seems to have been the main reasons. Biermann doesn't try to hide that at all. In fact he even goes to the length of explaining that they decided to use budgetary funds on weight losses rather than develop a dedicated hydraulic steering specificially for the F8x models.

Last edited by Boss330; 11-18-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0