View Single Post
      01-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
kevinmkirn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 with Comp

Tire problems at first track day

Hi,
Did my first track day through Hooked on Driving at PBIR about 10 days ago. Stock 2018 M3 with competition package, Pilot Super Sports, 3,000 miles. I didn't monitor the tire pressures/wear closely (regretfully), but the couple times I did showed around 36 psi right after coming off the track. Temperatures in the 60s. I ran in the novice group but felt like I pushed the car pretty well. Ran a total of 120 minutes (six 20-minute sessions) throughout the day. At the end of the day, noticed the left front outside had been "corded" (lots of right hand turns at PBIR), so I had to replace both fronts. (See the attached tire photo).
Would greatly appreciate advice on how to extend tire life, keeping in mind that I don't have ability to perform any maintenance on my own and will need to take the car to a shop for any mods/adjustments. Sounds like I should expect tires to last at least 2-3 track days under normal use. I certainly understand that my lack of track experience contributed to the shortened tire lifespan; hopefully as I gain more experience I will learn how to be easier on the tires. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 181227 M3 worn tire.pdf (1.21 MB, 770 views)
Appreciate 1
dezzracer1182.50