12-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #357
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpander View Post
I see a lot of comments on superior fit and finish of German cars as if that's the only thing driving up prices of the BMWs. I agree to some extent but honestly most of these car companies use the same handful of plastic/mold suppliers anyways so it is not as obvious anymore. Welcome to globalization.
True, but they all build to spec, and the specs are different in a Kia than they are in a BMW. Or a Ford.

I'm not going to get into the E90 versus F30 interior quality conversation here, because that gets religious fast and it's not what this thread is about. But I will say that in my line of work I drive a different rental car almost every week, and I do see a difference in the quality of interior between a $25,000 Chrysler 200 and a BMW. I just do. Jeep Grand Cherokees and Cadillacs are different, but there's another price point.

You make a good point about the cost of the German labor force. I think, though, that the same could be said for the Americans, which is one of the things that's been killing the industry here for decades, and also one of the reasons Hyundai and Kia are making so much progress.

Someone said that they were disappointed in the M3 interior as a $70,000 car. Right - the M3 is a $45,000 car with a $25,000 powertrain. I suggest sitting in a 5 series to see what BMW thinks an interior should look like in a $70,000 car.

People all think that since the Mustang is a new model, Ford will deliver it with a different level of fit and finish than anything they've done before. It is nice that they are moving to a modern rear axle arrangement - but I do expect the interior and the overall level of refinement to still be of a Ford. There's nothing wrong with that - I own and love an Explorer myself.