Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post

Here is a video review of both rs and cup. Main difference as I mentioned is the tranny. Tires as well but overall, same chassis, same motor. No one is going to buy an RS and race. They buy a Cup car. It is sold through different channels. Fuel systems, wheels, electrical systems, etc are all different but the base is THE SAME. The reviewer's last sentence says it all. You can call BS on this as well if you like

Thank you for the immediate response S4AWD.

That review was a bit vague and over simplified to say the least. Here is a very good article from autoblog based on the press release for when the gt3 cup car came out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/p...-of-frankfurt/

In case you don't want to share all of the details with everyone, I'll summarize for you. The GT3 cup car has:
1) though same V6 engine it is 3.8L (instead of 3.6L from gt3 rs) and has 30 bhp more than gt3 rs
2) different body work
3) lower and wider body
4) different wheel arches
5) upgraded exhaust
6) upgraded suspension
7) different brakes
8) totally gutted interior and significant weight reductions across the car
9) different aerodynamic features

Article lists every difference in good detail.

I agree the gt3 cup car is based on rs version, just like I think the M3 race car is based on the retail version. But there are very significant differences between the race cars and the street cars in both cases. Quite honestly, just listening to the video you posted, you could hear a lot of the differences between the two cars...it was kind of of funny that the reviewer didn't really address that.

Enjoy!

P.S. GT3 RS is street legal. Is the GT3 cup car? And the reason I called BS on you was because you first said that the only difference between a gt3 rs and a cup car was the transmission and fuel cell.
Correction: gt3 rs also has 3.8L, i think that was a mistake in the article

Last edited by Patronus86; 12-31-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0