View Single Post
      10-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #913
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
Just had my first track day ever and took my F80 out.. had the time of a lifetime. I drove in a Track Nights in America event out at MSR Cresson in the 1.7 CCW config and in the Novice group. I'm in love! Didn't set any record splitting times but the car felt great and I didn't run into any issues so it was a success in my book!

Basic config info:
KW V3
Volk TE37 19x9.5/19x10.5 275/295 PS4S
Bootmod3 Stage 1 (did some boost by gear reductions in 1-3)
1.9* camber front 2.2* rear (no camber plates yet)
High temp fluid/stock pads

And that's primarily it for performance related stuff. I kept my tire pressures at around 36 and they felt ok. Definitely spoke to me when they were trying to break loose so I was able to keep the car composed.

Top of my priorities for car stuff is to get some more seat time ASAP! I think in the shorter term after a few more sessions I'll look into camber plates -- thinking Vorshlag as they're local to me, and some 200tw tires. PS4S was not bad but I felt like I could be faster with something like an RE71R or maybe even try the new Federal RS-PRO for a low cost option. Anybody try the new Feds yet? For under $700 for a new set may be worth doing as I'm learning and getting into things.

In summary I can't wait to get back out there and applying/learning new skills Thanks for all the useful info, I've read through tons of threads in prep haha!
Congrats on your first track day! My first was at one of the M Driving days at cota a couple of years ago, so pretty tame but still had so much fun I knew I was instantly hooked too! Remember calling my wife on the way home and her just sighing when she could hear the giddiness in my voice

When you mentioned changing tires to drop a bit of time on the track - one thing to consider is that being faster might not necessarily be the best thing for a beginner. It doesn’t have to - but it definitely can slow down growth a bit. It raises the line to a higher speed - just that much harder to get to and typically requiring a bit more reactionary speed and skill to bring the car back. You might already have this down from other adventures so might not be applicable in your case - but if not just wanted to give you a heads up. Recovery is typically easier to learn at lower speeds so while adding grip right now might seem like they way to go it might actually be the opposite.

Also boost by gear is nice - you F8x guys and all that fancy power - awesome to be able to adjust as needed.

Welcome to the addiction!
Appreciate 3
DRLane3988.50
fanatic11018.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50