h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I suspect the OEM BMW CCB would perform much better on track if they had adequate cooling. If you could keep the disc surface just a bit cooler, there would be hardly any oxidization and the brake discs would last a really, really long time. Of course, the flip side is that the brakes would be quite cool by the end of long straights / sections not requiring brakes, and might not perform as well during initial brake application.
I think that's true, especially up front. and given how hot they run too much cooling is pretty unlikely.

Worth keeping in mind the Porsche is on their 4th gen PCCB development (20 years). I don't know where M's F8x CCB system would plug in on the developmental spectrum, but probably safe to assume from performance & durability standpoints they're not equal. Just as not all iron rotors are equal in quality or longevity.

Z/28 system was designed from the outset for track use. Discs aside, a comparison in pad wear rate between that system and M's indicates differing design/purpose. I'd estimate at least 2x faster pad wear rate for the M system. GTS is faster, but it ain't heavier or harder on brakes...

Bummer because I found the M system to be excellent performance wise, absolutely consistent, even when running hot enough to melt skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
What is GM CCB
General Motors - It's the Brembo CCM brakes, as found on Ferrari/Alfa/Maserati, Chevy, and other vehicles. Our brakes are Brembo CCB, as are AMG/Porsche/VAG.

Both have discs made of silicon carbide with carbon fiber reinforcement, just 2 different construction methods. CCB is a ceramic disc with a wear layer on the top (a little over 200g worth on our CCB front discs), while CCM is a slightly different type of ceramic material with no wear layer.

I suspect the OEM BMW CCB would perform much better on track if they had adequate cooling. If you could keep the disc surface just a bit cooler, there would be hardly any oxidization and the brake discs would last a really, really long time. Of course, the flip side is that the brakes would be quite cool by the end of long straights / sections not requiring brakes, and might not perform as well during initial brake application.
I love this forum, there is so much information shared would be impossible to find otherwise.

I'm gonna track mine first time with the CCB and decide what to do next after...
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50