View Single Post
      10-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #24
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I think that's true, especially up front. and given how hot they run too much cooling is pretty unlikely.

Worth keeping in mind the Porsche is on their 4th gen PCCB development (20 years). I don't know where M's F8x CCB system would plug in on the developmental spectrum, but probably safe to assume from performance & durability standpoints they're not equal. Just as not all iron rotors are equal in quality or longevity.

Z/28 system was designed from the outset for track use. Discs aside, a comparison in pad wear rate between that system and M's indicates differing design/purpose. I'd estimate at least 2x faster pad wear rate for the M system. GTS is faster, but it ain't heavier or harder on brakes...

Bummer because I found the M system to be excellent performance wise, absolutely consistent, even when running hot enough to melt skin.
Porsche simply uses Brembo/SGL rotors and calipers. The 4th gen PCCB is really just Brembo's 4th gen CCB. It's the same as the BMW/Merc/Audi/Lambo/Bugatti CCBs. Each manufacturer might specify a slightly different pad compound or rotor size, but the rotors are the same construction. I don't know when the latest revision was, but it's safe to assume the GTS has either gen 3 or gen 4.

I don't know that CCM brakes are necessarily better on track than CCB. They've had a similar number of development cycles, and the Z28 is on an older spec of CCM (the newest spec uses CCM discs AND pads).

The real way in which the Z28's system was designed for the track is that the Z28 has much better brake cooling than the GTS. There are dedicated ducts from the front bumper into the wheel well that are directed at the rotor. Additionally, the backing plate / dust shield is very small to allow that airflow to better cool the rotor.

Obviously, the Z28s setup is not as good as a full on racecar setup (a la M4 GT4) with flexible ducts leading to a vented backing plate, but the GTS has no brake cooling and huge backing plates that hold in heat. I think if you added the GT4 ducts and took away the ridiculous backing plates, you would see disc and pad life pretty similar to the Z28.

Problem is, you have to hack apart the front bumper to do so and the BMW Motorsports parts are stupidly expensive for what they are. The full setup (ducts, hoses, double vent backing plate, GT4 splitter) is nearly $10k. That said, it's pretty ridiculous for a $135k track day special to have milled aluminum uprights, 3 way suspension, CCBs, etc but no brake ducting whatsoever.

Last edited by 4play; 10-29-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
JLS_397K126.00