10-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #25
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Porsche simply uses Brembo/SGL rotors and calipers. The 4th gen PCCB is really just Brembo's 4th gen CCB. It's the same as the BMW/Merc/Audi/Lambo/Bugatti CCBs. Each manufacturer might specify a slightly different pad compound or rotor size, but the rotors are the same construction. I don't know when the latest revision was, but it's safe to assume the GTS has either gen 3 or gen 4.
Different cross drill pattern, surface finish, wear indicators vs. no wear indicators (997 gen 2 did have indicators). I’m not sure why there’d be certainty that the construction of the ccb rotors/system for the street M3/M4 = that which was intended for use on the 991 GT3 RS, or the Chiron. Is every Brembo iron rotor equally durable?

Anecdotally, there are stories of RS's and 918's with thousands of abusive track miles, original discs. Track with guys who have run the PCCB for seasons without issue. Agreed on the lack of cooling as an issue for the M system, but doubt that even with added cooling they'd get there.

Not claiming GM CCM > CCB, just that the wear rate of the pads and apparent sturdiness of the systems are not equal based on my track use.

Is cooling a factor? Without a doubt. The only factor? I don't think so. BMW spec'd a comparatively weak version of the Cup 2 and speculate they did the same with the brakes. Fit a different rear pad to a street-oriented ccb system and called it good. And then half assed it on the (lack of) cooling as well.

Appreciate 1
4play414.50