View Single Post
      05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #121
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I had been hoping for 7500-8000 RPM redline and I'm glad to hear that will actually happen. I do wonder though where the power falls off. In the M5, HP is virtually flat past 5500 rpms while torque falls off as expected. There isn't really an advantage going beyond 6k rpms based solely on a dyno plot. So I'm hoping that if the M3 has say a 7900 rpm redline, will it actually be useable? Will the driver want to take it to 7900?

So lets say that yes, it's useable and power peaks at like 7800. This would be best accomplished with a BIG turbo. I've said it before but I could totally see a so called "tri" turbo system that incorporates a twinscroll for decreased lag and mid range power and a larger turbo to carry the big HP numbers to redline. I would be very surprised if there is an electric turbo but that would be pretty fantastic.

Also, the S55 absolutely has to have fully forged internals. If they're pushing 8k rpms and hopefully they care about carrying boost to near redline, this better be one stout engine, and cooling better be something very special. For all those hoping to tune this one to 600HP, I say good luck it's going to be at near max capacity as it is when it comes down to cooling and what a 3.0L can handle.
Appreciate 0