View Single Post
      08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #211
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Hmmm . . .

Having read thru 10 pp of this thread, I find it interesting nobody has mentioned a key reason why, for me, MT is better than DCT:

With DCT, the opportunity for company attorneys to insert themselves into the driving equation and help dictate how a car behaves rears its ugly head. I truly think that's why many paddle-shift cars have a "doggy" throttle tip-in from a dead stop in first gear -- companies are afraid somebody is going to accidentally run over their grandma in her driveway because the car "lunged" forward -- despite the fact that their right foot told the car to do so. Because of this, manufacturers have to play it safe on how the software is written in terms of feeding in the clutch from a dead stop.

Ever notice how many modern cars hold revs unnaturally after you stomp on then chop the throttle in neutral or with the clutch disengaged? Drive-by-wire throttle software is intervening to help minimize emissions from the exhaust. "Clutch by wire" also requires software which can be tuned for certain behavior.

One of the critical bits of joy for me in driving an expensive car is that I feel like it's listening very carefully to what I'm asking it to do, then just doing it. When the tip-in from a dead stop gets laggy or mushy, it ruins the experience for me. Introduces frustration and anger. With my 6MT, I have infinitely variable control (up to the limits of traction at least) over how much lunge the car has from a stop. That alone will keep me from switching for some time.
Appreciate 0