11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #65
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
As of the watches ... the Breitling watches were made by Breitling on their production plant and not on an mass production plant like ETA - so the analogy seem a very good one!
Breitling watches use ETA movements, similar to a lot of other brands. It's like buying a engine from someone else and then putting it in your car on your own assembly line. Anyway, as others have pointed out. We are talking about a BMW M, not a Pagani Huyara. BMW made 60000 E9x M3's, that is a mass produced car by EU standards. It's nowhere near getting a small volume type approval procedure.

Quote:
And as I said before the real M spirit comes from the credo "Rennsporttechnik für die Straße" and the easiest point to show this is the racing inspired engine like S14, S52, S62, S54, S85 and S65. This is gone ... now its an mass produced engine with no racing spirit and produced on the same engine plant like all other regular AG engines.
The S65 is just as mass produced with 60000 units built. And according to Biermann, NO previous base model of the M3 has been more track ready as the F8x. So the car should live up to the credo

Sure, the engine is a new direction and it will be interesting to see if it lives up to the task it has to meet.

Quote:
If you read the SPORTAUTO article between the lines and together with the the follow on E92/S65 article you know that the authors of ths great sportcars may feel the same ... the new M3/M4 would be an great car and "the best M3 ever" but in spite of the engine and not because of the engine... the engine is an real disappointment for many M fans.
I can't find any hidden, or between the lines, meanings in the article. But as I said German is not my first language. And quite honestly it really doesn't bother me anyway. I just found it to be an interesting article

BTW, where was the Biermann comments you mentioned regarding saving money on the engine (that I had left out)?

Quote:
Because carbon-ceramic brakes are simply more sensitive, such as when stones fall into the brake ... quickly what is happening on / off the track ... therefore change many Porsche drivers, who are often on track back to steel brakes
Ok, that is probably correct. But I thought that the brakes would be more exposed to debris on a public road than it would be at a race track

I don't think you can buy a Ferrari without CCB anymore, many of them are tracked.
Appreciate 0